Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mini Town

Part 2 of my awesome weekend, a follow up to part 1 'Give Me All Your Cheese' which was a summary of Lungee's birthday. Today I spent the day with another favourite friend - Rev (short for Reva, short for Revanidhi). Reva felt alive today but it was a different kind of liveliness. For a while now she has been wanting to explore Durban and everything this amazing city has to offer but she didn't want to do it alone. So of course she asked me to join her because she is well aware that I am always up for an adventure. It's what I decided after I got back from Korea - be a tourist in my own city. And now I have a partner in crime.  

As young people, our lives are on repeat, constantly. I think about Katy Perry's song Last Friday Night where she recalls the previous Friday night's activities which included singing on tabletops, taking too many shots, kissing guys, mixing up credit cards, getting kicked out of bars, streaking in the park, skinny dipping and then doing it all again this Friday night. That's pretty much the reality for most young people these days, so I was delighted when Reva contacted me and said she wants to be a tourist in her own city. It's refreshing to find someone who actually wants to see and do more than just drinking and staying out until 5am. We made an agreement to do something fun and touristy at least once a month. 

With that being said, our first stop on this new adventure was Mini Town. R20 for adults gets you in, children and pensioners R15.



Mini Town is listed as a tourist attraction in Durban. The thing to note though, is that Mini Town is not a miniature representation of Durban. While it does include many buildings which can be seen in Durban, it also includes a few buildings from other cities.


First sight of Mini Town. 
It was a glorious morning in Durban... the afternoon got a little overcast but I still managed to get some good photos.

Spar - Mini Town

Nedbank - Mini Town
Mini Town
A pic to demonstrate the actual size of the building(s). I'm seen here with the City Hall. 
One of my favourites is the harbour. The ships actually move. As you can see in the pic, there's a track underground which guides them. 
It was really nice walking around seeing remnants of Durban. Mini Town is at least 30 years old and includes buildings and landmarks of Durban from the 1970s. Obviously waaaay before our time.

Mini Town. 
Vodacom Network Tower 
Rev at the sugar factory. 
After a couple of hours wandering around, we headed over to Circus Circus at the beachfront for a yummy lunch. That's all folks, until next time!!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment